Balarinji was engaged to work with local Wurundjeri-willam artist, Mandy Nicholson to develop an Aboriginal Art installation which included public artwork on the outer facade and on the ceiling.
The Burwood Brickworks site is located on the traditional lands of the patrilineal Wurundjeri-wilam clan. Showcased is the six fundamental elements that make up Wurundjeri Country:
1. Tharangalk Biik - Forest Country above the clouds where Bunjil (creator) lives
2. Wurru Wurru Biik - Sky Country
3. Murnmut Biik - Wind Country
4. Baanj Biik - Water Country
5. Biik-Dui - On Country where we walk, dance and conduct ceremony
6. Biik-Ut - Below Country where all life began
Each design element focuses on a different layer of Country that we can all appreciate and share. Being human, it symbolises our shared journey, both physically and spiritually.
These ancient connections are relevant to all that now call Wurundjeri Country home. The first rich culture of this Country is important for everyone to learn. This artwork highlights that Aboriginal culture can exist in an urban context and is dynamic and alive.